[unisog] Forcing Firefox Image Load Block List to client computers.

Christopher A Bongaarts cab at tc.umn.edu
Thu Dec 8 21:51:50 GMT 2005

In the immortal words of Saqib Ali:
> Will this effect (slow down) the image loading process in Firefox?

It can, if you have a host-based firewall installed that drops packets
for whatever port the ad sites choose to use for their web servers
instead of sending TCP RST's.

> On 12/7/05, Gaddis, Jeremy L. <jeremy at linuxwiz.net> wrote:
> > Saqib Ali wrote:
> > > I have compiled a list (
> > > http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/?action=viewtopic&id=169 ) of Ad sites
> > > that need to be blocked to on Mozilla Firefox for our users.
> > >
> > > I was wondering if there is a easy to force this list down to all
> > > client computers that are running Mozilla Firefox. Or better if there
> > > a way to configure Mozilla to retrieve the updated list from the URL
> > > on a daily basis.
> >
> > Why not create a HOSTS file out of these hostnames and force that out
> > (via some handy scripting) to the PCs in your domain?

%%  Christopher A. Bongaarts  %%  cab at tc.umn.edu       %%
%%  Internet Services         %%  http://umn.edu/~cab  %%
%%  University of Minnesota   %%  +1 (612) 625-1809    %%