[unisog] Those with Active Directory...Domain Admin question for you

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Thu Dec 8 23:46:26 GMT 2005

A Word from experience, never under any circumstance or under any level
of duress give out domain administrative privileges to people who do not
know what they are doing.  In a pervious job I saw far too many broken
servers and problems caused by people with too much access.

Point in case, a senior person who had domain admin privileges needed to
backup someone's PC.  So they ran ntbackup set to backup the full HD
(about 10GB).  (This is odd in the first place, since there is no reason
to backup the whole HD, just need the user's files...)  Anyway, the guy
needed to put the ntbackup file on a server, well he apparently did not
know which box was the file server, so he just randomly browsed servers
looking for file shares.  He found one of our DCs on the local subnet,
saw a share called SYSVOL, and uploaded.  Did I mention that we have
about 1/2 dozen DCs linked together by 100+KB/s WAN link?  See a
problem?  Well FRS started up and began pegging the entire WAN with
replication traffic.  And then the phones started ringing off the hook
from people yelling at us about the network being slow...

I got a lot more similar stories from that job about some of things I
had to deal with...  But I was basically stuck because this guy was my
superior and if I took away his access he would take away my job.

In comparison, at MSOE our IT director does one thing (and does it very
well), he directs.  His access is equal to that of a standard staff
member (the lowest level helpdesk worker has more access than he does);
thereby leaving the administration to the people who know how to
administer the systems best.  IMHO the modern IT group is getting more
and more political pressure from the outside and you need to have a
dedicated person that will deal with all these outside pressures.

Our domain admins are the people that daily do lots of things in AD.  We
also have setup a way for "on-call" staffers to be able to get Domain
Admin access should a crisis arise after hours and none of the Windows
guys are available.

Past that, helpdesk staff and senior helpdesk staff are given very
limited access to AD.  And the remaining staff, which consist of
hardware techs, Unix admins, Novell admins, telephone techs, network
admins, the assistant director, and the director have nothing over
standard staff access.

One way to approach the problem is to require all domain admins to be
MCP/MCSA/MCSE or some other industry certification.

The auditor route is tricky path.  Here is another story from my
pervious job that will highlight this point:

A different senior guy was working with a consultant company on some
network changes.  So he thought he might get the opinion of them as to
where he should fall in the structure so as to cement him in his job.
Without first asking the consultant, while in a meeting with the
consultant and his boss, he asked where he should fall.  The answer the
consultant gave him was "level 1: helpdesk".  I personally fully
disagree with that assessment, but hey, I was fairly low on the totem
pole, so I did not any say in the matter.

So I would definitely save that option as a last resort.  Even if he
agrees with you, there will still be the political fall out.  Nobody
likes when they are side stepped or made a fool out of in public.
Especially in front of an outside organization or auditor.

But you can always talk to him.  Have a meeting with this guy and your
domain admins and express your concern.  AD is very flexible when it
comes to permissions; maybe all he needs is "Account Operator" or
"Server Operator" rights.  If that does not fit, you can always delegate
permissions for finer control.

Hope that helps,
Adam Stasiniewicz
Computer and Communication Services Department
Milwaukee School of Engineering