[unisog] Contingency/DR Planning

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Dec 9 18:53:49 GMT 2005

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:16:54 EST, "Kruse, Jordan" said:

> I am currently researching contingency plans for my department. I am
> interested in looking at contingency plans or disaster recovery
> plans/policies from other University's. It would be helpful and greatly
> appreciated if anyone would like to share their plans via documents, or
> web addresses if posted.

Sorry for the late reply, it's been one of those weeks. :)

You really don't want just the plans/policies, in general - what you *want* is
the results when the site *tested* the plan.  All too often, sites have a
wonderful plan, which unfortunately depends on quick access to 2.394 kilograms
of unobtainium..

About 20 years ago, there was a report in Computerworld about the flooding in
downtown Chicago when a wall caved in and the Chicago River flooded a whole
series of underground tunnels, doing all the obvious sorts of damage to the
basements of a lot of banks and the like.

One bank had planned ahead - they had dual data centers in Chicago and Kansas
City, with sufficient capacity that they could run all the critical apps at
either site.  A dedicated leased line, and nightly mirroring of critical
databases so there would be no need to ship backup tapes (an unheard-of cutting
edge idea back then).

The flood hits, the director of IT declares an emergency, and all the critical
IT guys head home to pack a suitcase and head for O'Hare Airport to catch a
flight to Kansas City...

... only to find out that you can't *get* 110 tickets from O'Hare to KC on 90
minutes notice, and while they had 110 guys with corporate credit cards to buy
plane tickets with, they didn't have anybody authorized to charter an entire
airplane at short notice....