[unisog] dealing with windows bridging?

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Wed Dec 14 20:59:12 GMT 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:41:07AM -0400, Matt Ashfield wrote:
> Hey All
>
> At least once or twice a term, we get reports of odd network activity in the
> form of ip address conflicts. The cause of the problem always seems to be
> that a user has two network connections on their computer and has bridged
> the 2 connections, which is incredibly easy to do if you're an inexperienced
> Windows user.
>
> I'm just wondering if others have experienced this problem, and if so, what
> are you doing to combat it?

All of our student end station ports are configured with mac address ACLs,
and to down the port on an ACL violation.  Since bridging two interfaces in
Windows results in LAA addresses showing up on the wire, this does a very
effective job of limiting the damage the user does to themselves.

WPI Network Engineer          |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken