[unisog] SANS-EDU GIAC Training at VA Tech - updated information

marchany at vt.edu marchany at vt.edu
Wed Feb 9 03:01:22 GMT 2005

WHAT: SANS GIAC Training at VA Tech - Intrusion Detection In Depth
WHEN: 3/7/05-3/12/05
COST: $500/person (yes, the price is right)
ELIGIBILITY: any full time faculty/staff from an accredited EDU (k-12,
community college, higher ed)
REGISTER AT: http://www.conted.vt.edu/isect/

Sorry about the confusion with the schedule information on the www site. It's
being updated but I thought I'd give the latest for those making travel plans.

1. Sunday, 3/6 - hotel check-in, pickup class materials. You should plan on
arriving on campus on this day.

2. Monday, 3/7- Saturday, 3/12 - Class from 0900-1700

3. Monday, 3/7 -2000-2130 - Apple presentation on OSX (Jaguar) Security and
features

4. Tueday, 3/8 - 2000-2100 - Microsoft presentation on Windows Security

5. Wednesday, 3/9 - 2000-2100 - presentation on the GIAC certification testing
process

Other Birds-of-a-Feather (BOF) sessions to be scheduled later. Topic
suggestions are welcome.

6. Sunday, 3/13 - those of you who are flying here should plan on returning on
Sunday, 3/13.

7. Donaldson Brown Hotel Room availability - Those of you who got rooms at the
DBH were told the rooms are available only until Thursday, 3/10. This is
correct. I've been told there is a Civil War conference that grabbed the rooms
from 3/11-3/12. We've made arrangements for room availability at the Holiday
Inn University and the Amerisuites Hotel for those who have to move. Those who
are staying the entire week at either the Amerisuites or Holiday Inn
University don't have to do anything. I apologize for the inconvenience. The
Holiday Inn University is closer to campus and restaurants.

8. GIAC certification information - Don Murdoch will give a presentation on
the GIAC certification process on Wednesday evening. You can get more info on
the process at http://www.giac.org/steps.php#instructions. The exam is online
and you should take it AFTER you get back from class. Saturday, 3/12 is a
class day NOT an exam day.

The correct URL for the WWW site is http://www.conted.vt.edu/isect/
We still have space and the registration deadline is 2/28/05. Please pass the
URL info around to your peers.

If you have any questions, let me know. Thanks.

	Randy Marchany
	IT Security Lab
	VA Tech
	Blacksburg, VA 24060