[unisog] Is MS and Computerworld that nieve??

Jim Barlow jbarlow at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 18 14:32:50 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:32:28PM -0600, Bill Martin wrote:

[SNIP]

> I have not read the article, I just thought it was funny that they
> calssify "rootkits" new.  Even in the Windows world, NT Rookkit has been
> around for YEARS!!!
>
> MS is as dumb as Jessica Simpson if they really believe that a "windows
> rootkit" is concept. . . then again. Computerworld is not much better
> for the pull-out they use.

I agree with the other comments to this post that the headline was misleading
and the MS engineers in the article said they have been around for years.
But don't think MS is dumb about rootkits, they have some very sharp people
doing some interesting work on rootkit discovery and analysis.  For some
first-hand accounts of those be sure to check out the excellent blogs by
this MS Security Engineer:

    http://weblogs.asp.net/robert_hensing/

--
James J. Barlow   <jbarlow at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Head of Security Operations and Incident Response