[unisog] Salisbury University's IT Tools CD Contents

Scott Fendley scottf at uark.edu
Wed Feb 23 22:00:23 GMT 2005

Here is the key when it comes to SP2.  You are not allowed to distribute to
3rd parties (read students).  You are allowed to distribute in any ways you
deam necessary to computers your organization owns.  So as a security guy,
if I am out on campus and find a computer without SP2 without any
particular reason which we own, then I am able to install it from my media.

University's are in a bit of a quandary because a number of the hosts on
our campus are not owned by the University.  For you to give SP2 for a
student/faculty/staff owned computer, you end up giving it to a 3rd party
(MS, University, the other person) and are technically in violation of the
terms.

For those that feel that you can not make a CD available for your technical
staff to do their jobs on university owned/managed equipment, think of it
as a personalized version of a SUS/WUS server.  In that situation you are
distributing it over the network (instead of sneakernet), but are not in
violation because no third party is involved.

As always, I am not a lawyer, so talk to your legal counsel in case you are
concerned about your liability issues.

Scott