[unisog] [Fwd: Is the current password std flawed?]

James Riden j.riden at massey.ac.nz
Fri Feb 25 01:39:51 GMT 2005

Russell Fulton <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz> writes:

> Hmmm.... fro  my manager.  What do you think?
>
> I'll post my ideas on this tomorrow.
>
> Russell

Off the top of my head, I'd say insisting each password has to have a
digit, upper and lower case will increase the average entropy of your
passwords.

First, there are more passwords with the characteristics you insist on
than the ones without[1]. Second, if you don't insist on these, your
users will pick simple ones anyway.

[1] Say you insist on the three classes [A-Z][a-z][0-9] being
represented. That's 62^8 (~2.18e14) different passwords, less
52^8+36^8+36^8 (5.91e13) which don't have at least one of each class
represented. Which still leaves you 1.59e14 passwords which are OK.

IOW, you've halved the maximum number of combinations, but you should
have increased the average password entropy considerably - assuming
your users are anything like mine.

For system passwords, you can still use a random password generator
and get the full range of options.

cheers,
 Jamie
--