[unisog] [Fwd: Is the current password std flawed?]

Clinton E. Troutman troutman at mesh.net
Fri Feb 25 16:22:05 GMT 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 09:11 am, BACHAND, Dave (Info. Tech. Services)
wrote:
> We require an eight digit password using Windows complexity rule, which
> is three of the four types of character (UC,LC,#, symbol.)  I agree that
> this does limit the range of possible passwords, by my math to about 6%
> of the original space.

Please show your math...

By my reckoning, if you assume the "original space" is all 256 ASCII chars,
and the total number of chars in your four types is 96, then
(96^8) / (256^8) is closer to 39%
It will actually be greater than 39% since it is not the case that all 256
ASCII chars are usable as password chars.

Is there something I've missed?

--
Clinton E. Troutman
CeTro