[unisog] EAP/802.1x to the edge...anyone doing it?

Matt Ashfield mda at unb.ca
Thu Jan 13 14:53:37 GMT 2005

Hi All,

We're currently looking at 802.1x/EAP authentication (using MD5, ie
username/password and possibly mac address) at the edge of our network. It
seems like it could be a major implementation headache. Things that exist on
our campus network like hubs (plugged into other hubs!), xboxes, printers,
etc.. all pose problems. As well, if we do MD5 authentication, I believe
that the Novell Client will also pose problems.

I guess I'm just looking for feedback from anyone who is currently doing
802.1x at the edge. What has been your experiences? Also, do you know if you
can get a radius server to return a vlanID to the edgeswitch, so you'll be
placed in an appropriate vlan after authenticating (or do you have to rely
on the config of the edgeswitch to do it?).

Any info/comments are appreciated.

Cheers

Matt Ashfield
Network Analyst