[unisog] EAP/802.1x to the edge...anyone doing it?

BACHAND, Dave (Info. Tech. Services) BachandD at easternct.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:52:27 GMT 2005

Hello-

We looked at the same issue, in particular for the dorms.  Still a work
in progress, but here's what we're doing.

For full authentication and control, we are using Bradford's Campus
Manager product.  It in effect goes beyond simple .1x in that the user
is forced to authenticate, and is then forcefully switched between VLANs
based on identity.  Hubs and the like pose less of a problem, in that
Bradford's product periodically picks up the MAC cache of the edge
devices, and compares it to the identified list.  If there is a rogue on
the port, it's switched to the most restrictive VLAN.  So far, it's a
decent product, but not flawless.  One huge plus is that we have been
able to tie it to our perimeter IDS, so for specific signatures such as
Backdoor, CM will flag the user as a rogue and shut them down at the
edge wherever they pop up.  This has made the residence hall VLANs a lot
more stable.

We are looking to either use simple MAC locking, .1X, or CM in public
areas where we don't allow rogues or hubs in the future.  The thought
being, if they plug in anything other than what we put there, they
either stop working or go to a VLAN with internet service throttled to
something slower than an old modem and no LAN access at all....

Dave Bachand
Data Network Manager
Information Technology Services
Eastern Connecticut State University