[unisog] Your ISP as Net watchdog???

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 5 15:57:53 GMT 2005

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:13:58 EDT, Leo Howell said:

> How do you all feel about ISPs logging and storing all internet
> transaction history?  Is this another case of the clipper Chip?

I'd ask what the logging/storing costs will do to the economic viability of
most ISPs, and *then* ask if having that sort of record lying around will make
the ISP's database machine an attractive target for hackers trying to find data
for identity theft.....

It's the difference between "obnoxious intrusive useless security measures that
don't produce *actual* security, but get you re-elected because you *look* like
you're taking action" and "invisible effective security that doesn't get you
re-elected because nobody notices".