[unisog] Laptop Hard Drive Password

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Jul 7 13:23:19 GMT 2005

> Does anyone know how to remove a hard drive password from a laptop??
> We know the password but we want to be able to remove it.  Now, this is
> NOT a BIOS password.  This is NOT a Windows password.  But it is a
> security password placed on the Hard drive which you must enter before
> the drive boots up.

(Disclaimer : make yourself a 'dd' image of this drive before trying
*anything*).

If this truly is software-only, you should determine (perhaps by booting
to Knoppix, etc) what's actually encrypted and where this software
starts/ends. You might be able to get away with just replacing the
bootloader for NT/2K/XP with the one from the CD.

Do you have any more information about what was used to set the boot
password in the first place?

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University