[unisog] Laptop Hard Drive Password

Sean Kelly smkelly at rooster.creighton.edu
Thu Jul 7 13:37:57 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 12:19:39PM +1000, Leigh Vincent wrote:
> Hello All,
> Does anyone know how to remove a hard drive password from a laptop??
> We know the password but we want to be able to remove it.  Now, this is
> NOT a BIOS password.  This is NOT a Windows password.  But it is a
> security password placed on the Hard drive which you must enter before
> the drive boots up.

I'm going to assume you're talking about drive passwords related to the
ATA Security Feature Set here and not some other wacky sort of drive
encryption or boot password.

You might find these articles helpful:
http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/print/58214
http://www.heise.de/ct/english/05/08/172/
http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html

The third URL will provide you with a tool that might be able to unlock
your drive if you know what the password is. That said, I've not tried it
and am using the power of Google here. The top two explain more about ATA
Security and the problems that it can cause.

Hope that gets you somewhere...

--
Sean M. Kelly
UNIX Systems Architect