[unisog] Linux network monitoring software

Robert Kerr r.kerr at cranfield.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 08:45:59 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 10:27 -0500, Youngquist, Jason R. wrote:
> I’ve been looking into free network monitoring software for Linux.
>  Right now, here are the products I’m considering:

> Nagios - availability monitoring

> openNMS - network discovery

> Torrus - network and server monitoring

> Anyone have any other suggestions for software that may fit this bill
> and be better/easier to configure?

What specific features are you looking for? network monitoring
encompasses many areas. Some other projects you might like to look at
are:

nav (metanav.ntnu.no) - all in one network monitoring platform
cosi-nms (cosi-nms.sf.net) - cisco-centric nms
netdisco (www.netdisco.org) - network discovery & device tracking
cacti (www.cacti.net) - traffic graphing with web based configuration
cricket (cricket.sf.net) - traffic graphing, config file based
rancid (www.shrubbery.net/rancid/) - device config monitoring

If your routers support netflow or sflow there're several options for
flow collectors. If you don't have netflow or sflow support then you can
do similar things with argus or ipaudit on a carefully placed box.

The biggest issue you're likely to encounter is tying everything
together. It's frustrating to have a network discovery engine go out and
discover all your devices only to have to manually copy all that data
into the configuration file for your avilability monitor.

--
 Robert Kerr