[unisog] Fluke Networks Appliance

Marc Jimenez mjimenez at net.tufts.edu
Thu Jul 21 14:52:57 GMT 2005

Hi Carol,
	For what it's worth, we looked at the Optiview INA, and while it
was a neat box, we were put off by the fact that it has a hardware
limitation of 64Mb in its capture buffer. Literally, the specialized
daughterboard that handles packet capture has 64Mb soldered to the board.
For a device that claims to be a gigabit class sniffer, that just wasn't
going to cut it for us. Also, if you use strict ACLs and/or a management
VLAN on your network devices to limit where they can be managed from, alot
of the Optiview's better tricks become useless since it needs to have
SNMP access to your network devices for alot of its functions.

	Just my $.02,
		Marc

Marc Jimenez
Manager, Network Engineering and Security
Tufts University