[unisog] Fluke Networks Appliance

Peter Van Epp vanepp at sfu.ca
Fri Jul 22 01:54:51 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 07:36:49AM -0700, Carol Myers wrote:
> Have any of you purchased or researched the Fluke Networks OptiView
> products?  Just wanting some opinions on a vendor based product...I
> prefer open source.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carol
>
> --
>
> Carol Myers, CISSP
> Infrastructure Resources & Technology Services
> Paradise Valley Community College    http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu
> 602-787-7788
>
> "The trick to being a good manager is keeping the employees who hate you away from the ones who are undecided."
>        --Casey Stengel

	Yep, we own both an Optiview portable with wireless pod and Protocol
Inspector with a Gig capture pod (both of which I think these days qualify as
being part of Optiview). While very expensive they are both very useful. The
Optiview has the wireless option and can be (and has been) used to track down
rogue wireless access points (it has an RDF feature). While I think all of the
current (as of several years ago) capture solutions suck compared to the old
DOS Sniffer (which I still use a lot), Protocol Inspector sucked the least and
the pod would capture (with a 256 meg buffer) at least up to 1.6 gigs (which
is as fast as my test bed could put data on the wire) and possibly as they
claim to full wire speed.