[unisog] Trusted Computing (was Safe remote access)

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jul 27 20:36:22 GMT 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:21:03 EDT, Mike Wiseman said:

> With the key logger talk, I'd like to go a little off-topic here and ask about people's
> knowledge regarding Trusted Computing: Vista/LaGrande/TPM. Big picture questions aside,
> I'm wondering what functionality will be available when Vista is released.

I have to wonder - I suspect we're going to see more and more of TPM and
related support tossed over the sided in order to keep Vista's ship date from
slipping even further (they've already heaved the new filesystem and the new
shell overboard).

We can all be glad that the Microsoft/Claria deal appears to have fallen
through. However, I have to wonder what *real* security we're going to see in
Vista, if there's still fiefdoms within Microsoft that have *SO* not gotten the
message that they thought talking to Claria made *any* sense at all....

Also - keep in mind that Microsoft is responsible to its shareholders, not its
customers.  Can they afford to ship a Vista that actually secures all the holes
(and breaks backward combatability for tons of stuff in the process)?