[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Andy Johnston andy at umbc.edu
Fri Jun 3 21:16:38 GMT 2005

Hi, folks.

UMBC has a site license McAfee Anti-Virus software and a server on our
network that mirrors DAT updates.  We've noticed that we are frequently
seeing malware infecting campus systems well before (sometimes several
days) the DAT update that handles the problem appears.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

How do other McAfee users feel about it?

Symantec users: How do you feel about Symantec?

We're trying to decide which way to go for AV software.

Opinions, gripes and grumbles welcome and encouraged.  Please respond to
the list in case anyone else is facing the same issues.

Thanks,

- Andy Johnston

** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)         *                               **
** IT Security                           *PGP key:(afj2005) 4096/1BB51DFA**
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC* 88 CA 0D 45 C2 0E 0B 0F 3F 55 **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)     * 7A BD FE 3C 84 6F 1B B5 1D FA **