[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Alex Tirdil AJTIRDIL at salisbury.edu
Fri Jun 3 23:25:58 GMT 2005

Hello Andy,

At Salisbury University, MD...we are also have the same AV license and
run the mcafee update server locally.  There has been one situation we
encountered where McAfee didnt have the updates out in time and many
campus machines got infected.  So I guess it has not been a big issue
for us.  However we have a frontdoor firewall that has AV capabilities
(Fortigate-800) and it catches a lot of the HTTP/SMTP viruses
in-transit.  Plus our mail system scans itself, so thats double the mail
protection.

One thing I would be curious to know is the version you are using, all
our students and university owned systems are running McAfee Enterprise
8.0i  I see a good improvement in detection over the 7.0 series
(especially non-virus types of stuff like adware/spyware).

-Alex T
Salisbury University

>>> andy at umbc.edu 06/03 5:16 PM >>>

Hi, folks.

UMBC has a site license McAfee Anti-Virus software and a server on our
network that mirrors DAT updates.  We've noticed that we are
frequently
seeing malware infecting campus systems well before (sometimes several
days) the DAT update that handles the problem appears.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

How do other McAfee users feel about it?

Symantec users: How do you feel about Symantec?

We're trying to decide which way to go for AV software.

Opinions, gripes and grumbles welcome and encouraged.  Please respond
the list in case anyone else is facing the same issues.

Thanks,

- Andy Johnston

** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)         *
 **
** IT Security                           *PGP key:(afj2005)
4096/1BB51DFA**
** Office of Information Technology, UMBC* 88 CA 0D 45 C2 0E 0B 0F 3F
55 **
** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)     * 7A BD FE 3C 84 6F 1B B5 1D
FA **