[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at oit.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 3 23:56:29 GMT 2005

Andy Johnston wrote:

>Hi, folks.
>
>UMBC has a site license McAfee Anti-Virus software and a server on our
>network that mirrors DAT updates.  We've noticed that we are frequently
>seeing malware infecting campus systems well before (sometimes several
>days) the DAT update that handles the problem appears.
>
>Has anyone else had similar problems?
>
>How do other McAfee users feel about it?
>
>Symantec users: How do you feel about Symantec?
>
>We're trying to decide which way to go for AV software.
>
>Opinions, gripes and grumbles welcome and encouraged.  Please respond to
>the list in case anyone else is facing the same issues.
>
>Thanks,
>
>- Andy Johnston

>** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)         *                               **
>** IT Security                           *PGP key:(afj2005) 4096/1BB51DFA**
>** Office of Information Technology, UMBC* 88 CA 0D 45 C2 0E 0B 0F 3F 55 **
>** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)     * 7A BD FE 3C 84 6F 1B B5 1D FA **

We're facing similar issues. Often the malware disables McAfee's
autoupdate feature, and the system owners aren't aware of it until I
block their machines for attacking other hosts.

We (GT-ITAC) are evaluating a variety of AV vendors, but have no real
answers at this point.  We (the ITAC committee) will have a
recommendation for GT management by August 1st.  I can forward that to
UNISOG if it would be useful.

If anyone else is evaluating AV software, I'd love to hear your
thoughts/impressions/findings.

Thank you

--
Jonathan Glass	{(404) 385-6900} Information Security Engineer III
Office of Information Technology @ Georgia Institute of Technology