[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at oit.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 4 00:47:58 GMT 2005

Interestingly, there are viruses that 8.0i will not detect, but that the
7.0 series will.  It's really annoying, b/c according to the Help/About
screens, the DAT and engine files are the same b/w the versions...

JBG

Alex Tirdil wrote:

>Hello Andy,
>
>At Salisbury University, MD...we are also have the same AV license and
>run the mcafee update server locally.  There has been one situation we
>encountered where McAfee didnt have the updates out in time and many
>campus machines got infected.  So I guess it has not been a big issue
>for us.  However we have a frontdoor firewall that has AV capabilities
>(Fortigate-800) and it catches a lot of the HTTP/SMTP viruses
>in-transit.  Plus our mail system scans itself, so thats double the mail
>protection.
>
>One thing I would be curious to know is the version you are using, all
>our students and university owned systems are running McAfee Enterprise
>8.0i  I see a good improvement in detection over the 7.0 series
>(especially non-virus types of stuff like adware/spyware).
>
>-Alex T
>Salisbury University

>Hi, folks.
>
>UMBC has a site license McAfee Anti-Virus software and a server on our
>network that mirrors DAT updates.  We've noticed that we are
>frequently
>seeing malware infecting campus systems well before (sometimes several
>days) the DAT update that handles the problem appears.
>
>Has anyone else had similar problems?
>
>How do other McAfee users feel about it?
>
>Symantec users: How do you feel about Symantec?
>
>We're trying to decide which way to go for AV software.
>
>Opinions, gripes and grumbles welcome and encouraged.  Please respond
>the list in case anyone else is facing the same issues.
>
>Thanks,
>
>- Andy Johnston

>** Andy Johnston (andy at umbc.edu)         *
> **
>** IT Security                           *PGP key:(afj2005)
>4096/1BB51DFA**
>** Office of Information Technology, UMBC* 88 CA 0D 45 C2 0E 0B 0F 3F
>55 **
>** 410-455-2583 (v)/410-455-1065 (f)     * 7A BD FE 3C 84 6F 1B B5 1D
>FA **

Jonathan Glass	{(404) 385-6900} Information Security Engineer III
Office of Information Technology @ Georgia Institute of Technology