[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

mark ferguson ferguson at buffalo.edu
Mon Jun 6 14:33:29 GMT 2005

We've had Symantec at the University at Buffalo for some time.  Each time
the contract comes up we do a serious look around at other products from
vendors like McAfee who may be offering a sweet deal (at least for the
first few years).  There is always a slight functionality difference when
we evaluate the products and what seems to be a cost savings on paper.

But..

o There is a huge anticipated Help Desk/support cost in converting our
  end-users to another product.

o Several departments on campus also use Symantec on their departmental
  Exchange servers.  If we changed products those departments would either
  face a disruption as they convert to a new product or perhaps would try
  to avoid disruption by purchasing Symantec on their own.

--
Mark Ferguson
ferguson at buffalo.edu