[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Nguyen, Minh Nguyen at lsdo.ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 6 15:27:53 GMT 2005

Paul,

For you to stated "you should not have block .zip files as they require
work on the user's part to make them dangerous" is unfair.

We block .zip and a bunch of other files.  This has great reduced the
amount a viruses that our desktop antivirus detected.   I understand
your concern with blocking out zip files.  But the reality is that no
matter how much user education you have, someone will always open up a
zip file that is a virus.  One user can essential take down your
network.

Blocking out .zip files does not prevent the users from receiving
legitimate zip files.   All the sender needs to do is rename the .zip
extension to something else, and it will bypass the blocking.  In
addition, if someone needs a zip file that was blocked, all they need to
do is ask for it to be released.  In my office of 50 people, we get
about 1 request every 6 weeks (may even longer).   People have learned
how to work around the attachment problem when it's a legitimate reason.

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Assistant Dean of Technology
College of Letters & Science Deans' Office
mailto:mtnguyen at ucdavis.edu (530)752-7647