[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 6 20:41:24 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 10:33 -0400, mark ferguson wrote:

> o There is a huge anticipated Help Desk/support cost in converting our
>   end-users to another product.
>
> o Several departments on campus also use Symantec on their departmental
>   Exchange servers.  If we changed products those departments would either
>   face a disruption as they convert to a new product or perhaps would try
>   to avoid disruption by purchasing Symantec on their own.

I came to the conclusion long ago that to get us to change AV vendors
would require either large on going savings or radically improved
performance (that we could not get by just sitting tight and weighting).

When we changed from McAfee to Symantec (now nearly 10 ? years ago) we
ended up licensing both products for a year so we could change over
gracefully. It was an expensive painful exercise.

It may be a bit better now with many products having the ability to do
remote installs but there is still the issue of end user familiarisation
etc.

Cheers, Russell