[unisog] Request Opinions on Anti-Virus Software

Hall, Rand rand at merrimack.edu
Tue Jun 7 14:31:29 GMT 2005

Hmmm, I'm surprised by two things:

1) All of this talk about email-borne viruses. I thought most
companies/schools had a pretty good handle on this.

2) I don't recall seeing anyone mention non-email virus propagation. The
ONLY way any of our kids got infected this year was via AIM links or by
having blank admin passwords.

None of the virus vendors are to blame for being "slow" to provide
updates. There are hundreds/thousands of boutique variants written each
day. People need to submit them before reactive DATs can be created.

Mitigation can be helped along by using multiple A/V products in your
data path, using enterprise solutions like McAfee's EPO to facilitate
ultrafast DAT distribution, user education, and using you're A/V's
proactive features like McAfee's buffer overflow protection and outbound
access protection.

--
Rand P. Hall, Director, Network Services
SunGard Collegis, Inc.
Rand.Hall at merrimack.edu