[unisog] Peer-to-Peer Software

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Wed Jun 8 00:10:26 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:48:30AM +1000, Leigh Vincent wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am curious to find out what other places are doing about Peer-to-Peer
> software.  Here in Australia, Universities are facing a crackdown by the
> recording industry on downloads that are in breach of copyright etc.
> and I would be interested to know how others handle this issue.

We use a packeteer packetshaper here.  We have it configured to throttle down
all of the various p2p apps to effectivly zero bandwidth (a few packets still
slip through now and then due to the way it does classification of port hopping
apps, but they don't last long enough to really transfer files).

We get a few complaints about it now and then, but so far no one has been able
to come up with a good reason why they need gnutella/bittorrent/kazaa/etc for
academic purposes.

WPI Network Engineer          |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken