[unisog] Peer-to-Peer Software

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Jun 8 13:13:01 GMT 2005

> I am curious to find out what other places are doing about Peer-to-Peer
> software.  Here in Australia, Universities are facing a crackdown by the
> recording industry on downloads that are in breach of copyright etc.
> and I would be interested to know how others handle this issue.

Let's not forget that there *are* legal uses of p2p software ..

With that in mind, and in the general spirit of 'openness' that is part
of the University culture, we elected to use a Packeteer
(www.packeteer.com) to keep the bandwidth useage from such applications
to a reasonable level (128kbps per user in total, regardless of
client(s) in use).

Other than that, there are no restrictions. We do not, however, have any
of the inbound ports permitted (eg: 1214, etc).

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University