[unisog] Peer-to-Peer Software

Cude, Zachary zachary.cude at ttu.edu
Wed Jun 8 13:48:15 GMT 2005

We have it easy in our neck of the woods.  Our intrusion prevention system
has signatures for all the p2p protocols, so blocking them is only a check
box away.  We also limit the bandwidth of known P2P ports to 1kb.  Good luck
downloading a movie with that kind of bandwidth.  We recently ran into an
issue with the i2Hub P2P software, but since it was based on DC++ protocol
our IPS was able to block it.  We also use our IPS to block all IRC traffic
which has been a godsend.

Zachary Cude
IT Security Analyst
Texas Tech University