[unisog] Firewall Administration

Matt McBride matt.mcbride at utah.edu
Wed Jun 8 23:34:55 GMT 2005

The University of Utah deploys Cisco FWSMs throughout the distribution layer and at the Campus NBRs. There is a total of 14 FWSMs which are managed, upgraded, controlled, and installed by the Campus Network Engineering team. The Security team at this point has no enable access on the FW modules. It is by direction of the Campus IT Security team that rules and policies are enforced. All requests to update and implement FW rules are made by the Security team to the Network Engineering team who implements the changes.

Each FWSM within the distribution layer has multiple virtual-contexts that are managed by the respective LAN manager behind each context. This enables the LAN managers responsible for departemental resources to have control over their own FW rule set. The Campus Security team and the Network Engineering team takes LAN managers through a crash-course training on the basics of FW rules and the dos-and-donts. Each virtual-context has specific configuration information that is not to be changed by any of the respective LAN managers. They are aware of these configurations and if changed, will only end up breaking themselves and the department(s) behind that context. Each LAN manager has a central TACACS+ account to provide AAA services on their virtual-context and they can only manage and see the contexts they have enable access over.

But, again, as for the FWSM as a whole, it is the Network Engineering team that manages them since they are respectively just another module in the 6500 chassis.

-Matt