[unisog] Current use of Netware (OES),

Rob Whalen rwhalen at stmarys-ca.edu
Thu Jun 9 18:27:04 GMT 2005

see below
Cal Frye wrote:

>AFAIK, the most detailed and granular system of groups, shares, and access
>rights is Novell's. Have you considered the additional advantages of merely
>upgrading? We're quite happy with the performance and failover capacity we
>gained with clustering our NW6.5 server set. And the licensing model with the
>newer versions is site-based, permitting an unlimited number of servers. Once we
>discovered consortium purchasing, our annual cost became much more attractive. I
>don't know much about pricing on your side of the world, however.
>
>I admit I might be a bit partisan ;-)
>
>--Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
> www.ouuf.org, www.calfrye.com
>GnuPG ID 43061C16, Public key http://www.calfrye.com/cfrye.asc
>
>  "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home. " - Ken Olson,
>president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
>

>David Gardner wrote:
>

>>Hi list :)
>>

>>We are currently going through a project to replace a set of Netware 4
>>servers[1], and whilst I'm not directly involved with this project I am
>>interested in it due to the possible knock-on effects for server-side
>>software that we will be required to support, and was wondering what
>>some of you guys and gals use to allow the following:
>>

>>- Delegate authority to allow selected staff to create groups, shares and
>>  change access rights within their own section,
>>
>>- Have managed Windows desktops for staff and possibly PC clusters,
>>
>>- Preferably sync with or directly use our current OpenLDAP infrastructure.
>>

>>I think that this can be acheived with just Samba and a bunch of trusted
>>domains, which will be a lot cheaper than the alternatives of Novell Open
>>Enterprise Server or MS Active Directory.
>>
>>What good and bad experiences have people had with these setups, especially
>>in the sense of security vs feature comparisons between them?
>>

>>I hope this isn't too general a question for the list!
>>

>>	Thanks in advance,
>>
>>		David
>>

>>[1] afaik the available options are : Novell OES, MS AD, Samba.

Novell also has Nsure Identity Manager which will sync between AD, LDAP,
or other i.e.AIX, *nix and eDirectory using dirXML. This will enable you
to use whichever database you want as authoritative. It will also let
you control what syncs each way between systems. I'm using it here to
integrate our diverse systems (AD, Linux w/ Samba, and Netware).
Rob Whalen, Network Engineer
Saint Mary's College