[unisog] OT- Network Inventory Control?

sunia sunia at networking.stanford.edu
Wed Jun 15 15:37:25 GMT 2005

We have our own application called NetDB.  Since we have about 50,000
hosts, we wanted to distribute DNS/DHCP administration among the 300
local network administrators + 100 server admins.  We had also included
fields for make/model/location/comments so folks have also used it for
inventory.  I use it often to pull out the current list of
switches/routers for various scripts to backup configuration, update
monitoring lists, etc.  Much more reliable to check for new DNS hosts
than to wait for folks to tell me about a new switch.

Sometime next year, we hope to have NetDB packaged up enough to release
as open source.

Sunia