[unisog] Security Issues with Skype

Yelle, Norman Norman.Yelle at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Mon May 2 16:04:45 GMT 2005

If I'm not mistaken, installing Skype will also install the Gator spyware.

Norman.

-----Original Message-----
From: unisog-bounces at lists.sans.org [mailto:unisog-bounces at lists.sans.org]
On Behalf Of Russell Fulton
Sent: May 2, 2005 11:48 AM
To: unisog at lists.sans.org
Subject: Re: [unisog] Security Issues with Skype

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 14:50 +1000, Tim Lane wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just wondered if anyone has looked into and identified any Skype VoIP
> security issues, from the P2P perspective as opposed to voice security
> perspective.  My understanding is this software is provided by the same
> makers as Kazaa, and that the EULA is particularly broad in its context to

> authorising third parties to connect to your computer.

We looked at these issues recently and decided to ban Kazaa -- because
it came packed with spyware but we decided to allow Skype.

On the EULA issues some people pointed out that the skype eula is not
much different to the MS one for XP (both allow the vendor to install
whatever they like) and if we bar Skype on that grounds we should also
ban XP.

Hmmmm... I *was* tempted but was over ruled ;)

Russell