[unisog] Keyboard sniffers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon May 2 19:47:29 GMT 2005

On Mon, 02 May 2005 13:57:54 CDT, "James J. Barlow" said:
> We have all seen some of the recent news articles of security compromises
> at banks and such using hardware keyboard sniffers.  I was wondering if
> there were any programs or kernel modules (linux and/or windows) that detects
> when a keyboard is unplugged and will then log something to syslog or the
> system/security event viewer?

Note that this won't catch the much-more-prevalent software-based
keystroke logger.  The hardware ones require a covert visit to install,
and usually another one to retrieve, while the software-based ones
came to you from a (probably compromised) server on another continent
and use that same network connection to send the data to yet a third
continent....

Does *your* operating system support a Secure Attention Key sequence? ;)