[unisog] Any Canadian Universities on here ?

Sylvain Robitaille syl at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed May 4 15:09:37 GMT 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Pete Hickey wrote:

> ... it SEEMS like rogers is starting to/thinking of blocking port 25.

In my opinion, it's about time that they do.  Most of the spam, and a good
percentage of the email-borne malware we receive arrives from unblocked
"client" systems at large ISPs.  Rogers are hardly the most represented
in my analyses (read "periodic grepping through logs") of the problem,
but they do show up as more than a "blip".

When ISPs block outbound port 25 as a general rule, it will become much
easier for them to control spam and viruses from their clients.

> We end up supporting their mail client configuration, so that they
> can use their university addreses from home.

I don't understand: they can use whatever address they want, so long as
they use their ISP's SMTP server to send mail through, no?  Certainly
that's not been a problem for us ...

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl at alcor.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / Postmaster                      Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada