[unisog] Any Canadian Universities on here ?

Martin Radford Martin.Radford at bristol.ac.uk
Thu May 5 07:25:41 GMT 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Mike Iglesias wrote:

> > On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:03:35AM -0400, Paul Ryan wrote:
> > > Good to know that you have a method around port 25 blocking - as the
>
> sendmail can be configured to accept mail on the "mail submission" port,
> 587.  We may start suggestion people use that to get around the port 25
> blocks.

We run SMTP servers like this at Bristol, with exim listening on port
587 and requiring encryption and authentication.  Our default mail
client setup specifies those settings, which also work within our
network.

While I don't run the mail service myself, I do work some hours on our
help desk, and I haven't yet heard of any ISP that blocks port 587
traffic yet (though many are starting to block 25).

Martin
--
Martin Radford  (Martin.Radford at bristol.ac.uk)
Personal Computer Systems Team