[unisog] Security Issues with Skype

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Fri May 6 14:59:16 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 16:54 -0400, Reg Quinton wrote:
> > just wondered if anyone has looked into and identified any Skype VoIP
> > security issues, from the P2P perspective as opposed to voice security
> > perspective.
>
> My principle problem with Skype has been that users tend to end up as
> broadcast points that  others can use and that eats a scarce resource -- our
> network connection. That's a similar problem to some of the
> radio-rebroadcast technologies.

traffic shaping would seem to be the only answer to preventing  users
becoming supernodes.  Several people have spent considerable amount of
time trying to work out ways of stopping nodes becoming super but
restricting bandwidth seems to be the only thing that works.  If I'm
wrong about this 'd be delighted to know.

Russell