[unisog] root level access policies?

Gabe Turner gabe at msi.umn.edu
Mon May 9 15:20:25 GMT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 08:51:30AM -0400, John Meyers wrote:

>  I was just curious what other schools have implemented in terms of
>  policies related to root level access on production servers?  For
>  example, do you provide your dba's or other IS staff who are primarily
>  working with applications root level access?

In my department, we have a non-root user that those doing software
management can use to install applications.  We give those people the
ability to su to that user via sudo.  This seems to work quite well,
provided that root is not required to install the application (and usually,
it's not).

HTH,

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
UNIX Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu