[unisog] Server based scan for student computers

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Fri May 13 18:44:50 GMT 2005

Hi Andy,

We do this currently using Linux, Apache, Squid, SquidGuard, Nessus, and
Perl/SNMP code.

It works pretty well but there are some gotchas in terms of checking for
virus updates, and OS updates (ie -> user downloaded them but didn't
actually apply them). Also, with the advent of per-host firewalls
scanning them with Nessus becomes a real pain (for little result?).

Ideally a program that they download and run which sends the results
somewhere would, potentially, be much more reliable. That is until
someone figures out how-to subvert that process.

One of my colleagues is currently undertaking the re-writing of our
codebase into something we can distribute (unleash upon) to the public.

The timeframe for this is at least 3months away but if anyone is
interested we can post here when it's done.

Cheers,
Harry