[unisog] Hosting a SANS-EDU at your site

Christian Wilson Christian.Wilson at its.monash.edu.au
Sun May 15 07:22:12 GMT 2005

Hi Randy,

Any idea if the following translates to overseas places such as Australia?

I guess additional costs like airfares, accomodation applies, but on the
whole it can't be too much of an increase in the $ price.

Regards
Christian.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:39:03PM -0400, marchany at vt.edu wrote:
> The past couple of years, VA Tech has held a SANS-EDU training class for EDU
> members at a substantial discount. SANS has decided to start a new program to
> allow EDUs to do the same at their site.
>
> Here is the info from SANS about hosting a SANS-EDU at your institution. I'm
> preparing an FAQ for things you need to do when hosting the event.
>
> SUMMARY
>
> The prices below are for any EDU (higher ed, community college, K-12), state
> or local law enforcement staff. The pricing varies depending on the size of
> your venue. The final price/person will probably be higher to cover your
> overhead.
>
> Venue Size     Price/Person    GIAC Fee          Payment to SANS
> 300 students   $383.33/person  $300/1 GIAC try   $115000 to SANS
> 200 students   $525/person     $300/1 GIAC try   $105000 to SANS
> 125 students   $750/person     $300/1 GIAC try   $93750 to SANS
>
> You may market to non-edu sites. The price below is for non-edu participants.
>
> Non-EDU Price/seat   You keep      Payment to SANS
> $2895                $445/seat     $2450/seat
>

> DETAILS
>
> 300 STUDENTS
> $115,000 Plus the Cost of Course Materials (at cost) & Instructor
> Travel Expenses ($383.33 Per Student)
>
> SANS will provide the following services:
>
> - - Six days of instruction by a certified SANS faculty member
> - - All course books and materials
> - - Evaluations of students
> - - Certificates of Completion
>
> Sponsor must:
> - - Provide suitable classroom facility with access for PC's or laptop
> power for students
> - - Pre-qualify students based upon the course's subject matter and
> status that they are from educational institutions (K-12, College)
> only
> - - Provide complete list of names and addresses of students attending
> course n/l/t/ ten business days prior to start of course
> - - Instructor travel and lodging
> - - A proctor for every 25 students who can assist the instructor with
> technical issues during hands-on sessions. The proctor should be
> someone who is familiar with the subject manner or has previously
> taken SANS courses.
>
> We will only charge the client at cost of course materials at cost
> which is estimated $35 - $50 per course and city if we need to ship.
> We have a national deal with both Kinko's and Sir Speedy and will
> just charge books at estimate and can give clients a cost before
> signing contracts.
>
> $300 Per Student for One Attempt at GIAC Certification
>

> 200 STUDENTS
> $105,000 Plus the Cost of Course Materials (at cost) & Instructor
> Travel Expenses ($525 Per Student)
>
> SANS will provide the following services:
>
> - - Six days of instruction by a certified SANS faculty member
> - - All course books and materials
> - - Evaluations of students
> - - Certificates of Completion

> [...]

Christian Wilson
IT Security and Risk Manager, Infrastructure Services
Information Technology Services, Monash University - Clayton
Phone: +61 3 990 51187