[unisog] Server based scan for student computers

Andy Druda adruda at wagner.edu
Sun May 15 10:01:10 GMT 2005

Thanks to all who responded to this.

We are looking at a commercial product available for our Alcatel
switches to handle the actual quarantine (using perhaps nessus as a
scanner) process.  We are investigating using the same engine to place
students in the ResNet VLAN in the first place.  The registration front
end (the web interface) we will write ourselves.  Once quarantined
students are directed to a web server with files that can help them scan
and clean their computers but we currently quarantine by hand.

We knew about Perfigo and expect it is costly but if I can get the $$ it
may be worth it.  Did not know some of the other commercial products
mentioned.  We had considered nessus for the initial scan but do not
have a strategy for running it "on demand" when students plug in and are
sent to the "registration" server.

I will look at a number of things mentioned to be in response to my post
here.

Andy