[unisog] Server based scan for student computers

Mike Wiseman mike.wiseman at utoronto.ca
Mon May 16 14:27:55 GMT 2005

Hello,

We did a lot of work in this area also but mainly focused on vulnerability
detection/remediation. We took the SWU Netreg and combined it with Nessus but were
unsatisfied with the limited detection capability due to the unmanaged nature of residence
and wireless networks. So we went further and replaced Nessus with a wizard-like utility
that end users are required to run as part of the registration process. This utility is a
wrapper for Microsoft's MBSA critical update detection tool and it is not installed - just
run once. The user must be up to date with updates get full network access. If the user
fails the test, they are directed to WindowsUpdate. This system (called Endpoint Security
Policy system, ESP for short) has been in service with over 3000 users for a year now and
it works pretty well. We're about to add a similar utility to check for AV install
status - readily available in XP SP2 Service Centre and a password audit check.

See  http://www.utoronto.ca/security/UTORprotect/ESP/index.htm for info/download. Note:
the docs aren't the best yet.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto