[unisog] German email

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed May 18 16:23:18 GMT 2005

Eric Hoelzle <eric.hoelzle at gmail.com> wrote:

> We started getting inundated with this over the weekend, mostly
> originating from RoadRunner cable modems.
>
> After blocking the major offenders and putting some subject line
> filters in place, it's settled down.
>
> This, of course, will do nothing much for the next wave.

We have had about 370,000 a day since Sunday.

Filtering on the subject lines works great, but, agreed, the next
one will be different.

The message header is well done.  There are slight peculiarities
(see http://weir.dattitu.de/archives/9-Filtering-Sober-P.html )
but this might be fixed next time too.

Since it is sent out by a virus, greylisting might do a good job
stopping it.  We have not implemented greylisting so I cannot
verify whether this is true.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York