[unisog] Network security police no hubs/switches/routers?

Alex Tirdil AJTIRDIL at salisbury.edu
Mon May 23 17:43:12 GMT 2005

I just tell the students that we use a campus-wide security system that
doesnt work with hubs (doesnt explain routers/switches, oh well).  The
product we use is Bradford's Campus Manager, and it needs to use
manageable network devices to perform its functions.  If it finds a port
off our switch that has a hub on it, it will turn off that port.

They actually almost have an addon out to allow Campus Manager to work
with unmanaged devices, so we might review our policy then, but for now
hubs are banned and thats why.

Another angle you might go at is that if their equipment goes haywire
for some reason, your RESNET/IT wont support it.

A final angle could be "if your hub/switch/router is connected to our
network and a piece of our equipment gets damaged or stops working, if
its on the same segment as the student hub/switch/router, then you (the
student) may be liable for damages".

Those are just some different ways to look at it.

-alex t
Salisbury University

>>> VSSARVEP at uncg.edu 05/23 9:29 AM >>>
We have just spelled out some policies that no hubs/routers are to be
connected to the network.  There seems to be  a lot of
resistance for this policy.  I know the technical reasons for not
allowing
this, but anybody have a lay man explanation in their policy
about "Why hubs/routers are not allowed on the campus network?"

If you have one please do share.  If you have a strong network security

that limits what type of devices attach to the network, again
in non technical terms please do share this as well.

Thanks
Vijay