[unisog] Network security police no hubs/switches/routers?

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Mon May 23 17:50:55 GMT 2005

> We have just spelled out some policies that no hubs/routers are to be
> connected to the network.  There seems to be  a lot of
> resistance for this policy.  I know the technical reasons for not
> allowing this, but anybody have a lay man explanation in their policy
> about "Why hubs/routers are not allowed on the campus network?"

Q: Why hubs/routers are not allowed on the campus network?
A: They restrict the effectiveness of centralized network management.

I've found that people learn why not to do this when we detect a virus
(or whatever) and nick a port on the switch -- then someone calls and
says something like "my whole lab is down".

Then somebody gets to waste the afternoon figuring out WHICH machine it was.

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University