[unisog] Network security police no hubs/switches/routers?

Scott Genung sagenung at ilstu.edu
Tue May 24 03:02:19 GMT 2005

Clark,

In the early 1990s, we allowed departments to deploy thinnet and 10BaseT
hubs on the campus network. As time went on, we found ourselves devoting
more and more of our time (at times between 25-50%) chasing problems in
these environments. At peak, they only represented between 5-10% of station
count on our network. After demonstrating this point to my administration
of the time, support emerged for a policy that forbid the use of these
products.

Over the years through this policy, we have developed a uniform environment
that is consistent throughout campus. This approach has reduced the amount
of time we invest chasing ghosts which allows us to focus our efforts on
other endeavors. These days with the security threats of the last couple of
years fresh in their memory, the administration here is more concerned with
network reliability and responsiveness which supports this viewpoint.

If you are trying to make this point, track the number of hours your staff
has invested chasing problems that have emerged with the use of these
devices. Then, demonstrate what you can't get done because of it. These
were selling points when we made our pitch so many years ago.

At 05:25 PM 5/23/2005, Clarke Morledge wrote:
>So my challenge is to show that allowing these cheap hubs actually costs
>the university MORE money in the long run.  But alas, I haven't been able
>to convince everyone yet about this :-(

Scott Genung
Manager of Networking Systems
Telecommunications and Networking