[unisog] Network security police no hubs/switches/routers?

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Tue May 24 13:13:17 GMT 2005

  > What do you do when someone needs a port for a second computer?  How
long
> does it take to get a new drop? How much does it cost? Are your users
> doing anything that is important to the organization, or just playing
> around? Will you allow IP phones (which usually contain a "pass-thru" port
> which is equivalent to a 2 port hub)?

Most network drops already have two cables. New drops cost ~$600
(includes port cost on a 65xx edge). We have wireless that blankets the
entire campus and every building so laptop users get a $30 802.11 card.

> I think a policy of always providing a (possibly managed) switch would
> have a better chance of furthering the objectives of the university.

I agree. Offering a lower cost (say 29xx) alternative to a department
and then making their FastEthernet port a trunk would increase port
density for them at the expense of bandwidth on the trunk, but you'd
still be able to manage the edge.

Cheers,

~Mike.