[unisog] Domain Layout

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Tue May 24 15:29:38 GMT 2005

> We have two Win2000 domains, one for Administrative Staff and one for Academics, both staff and students. This is to help keep students away from exam documents, financial records, and so-on. I'm interested to see if this is a similar arrangement to other Academic organisations.
>
> 	How many domains do you use, and what users do they cover?

Too many, although we're consolidating into one w2k3 domain/forest and
making everything into OUs. An OU is just as securable as a domain,
since you probably already have a trust between them for management reasons.

If you must have seperate domains, it's usually better to create
subdomains under a common root (students.sans.org and admin.sans.org,
etc). I know w2k3 supports inter-forest Kerberos trusts, but only by
mucking with the protocol (in true M$ style).

My $0.02. Your mileage may vary, batteries not included, not all clients
will qualify, do not remove under penalty of law, product shipped may
vary from description.

~Mike.