[unisog] Wireless IDS Options

jeffs jeffs at unr.edu
Fri May 27 20:59:07 GMT 2005

We have been using Airmagnet Enterprise in a test deployment, 8 sensors
in three buildings, for about 6 weeks.  While I really like Airmagnet's
analyzer software I am a little disappointed in the reliability of their
sensor information.  We regularly get false alarms that can't be traced
back to any actual signal or event.  Airmagnet even looked at wireless
captures and was unable to tell me why certain alerts were generated.
The rogue AP triangulation is a nice feature but needs a lot more work.
You can't even import a map until a rogue AP is actually detected.
Although that is easily solved by tagging one of your own APs as rogue
and then setting up the map.  Hopefully these features will be improved
but I would recommend actually using the system in a real environment
before buying anything substantial.

Having said that, the sensors do work great as wireless analyzers.  The
remote console is just as good as using the laptop analyzer software in
the building.  The fact that you have instant access to the wireless
spectrum in your remote sites is almost worth the price of the product
by itself.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions off list.

Jeff Springer
Network Security Manager
University of Nevada Reno