[unisog] Port 0

Jeff Murphy unisog at jcmurphy.oss.buffalo.edu
Tue Nov 1 15:41:35 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 16:40 -0600, John Kristoff wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:12:50 +1100
> Rudolph Pereira <rudolph at usyd.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > So, given that the only solid report of udp/0 traffic is actually
> > IGMP, I'd still, for one, be interested in any other evidence that
> > udp/0 is associated with valid traffic.
>
> IGMP and UDP are mutually exclusive.  IGMP doesn't have ports anymore
> than ICMP has ports.
>
> John

Yes! Which is what I meant to imply when I said Juniper inserts a zero
into the report as a 'placeholder'. I think it's just for formatting
purposes, even though it's misleading for someone who might not know
enough to realize that the concept of a 'port' has no significance for
those protocols.

jeff